The RTITB Crane Slinger and Signaller course (often referred to as a rigger banksman), will give you the skills needed to be safe and efficient at your job.
The slinger’s duties include:-
- attaching and detaching the load to and from the crane;
- using the correct lifting accessories in accordance with the lifting plan or procedure;
- visually checking the lifting accessories for damage before and after each use;
- initiating and directing the movement of the load by giving the appropriate signals;
- to place the load safely.
On some occasions, the Appointed Person may ask the slinger to act as the signaller.
The signaller’s duties include:
- relaying signals from the slinger to the crane operator.
NOTE: The roles of slinger and signaller are generally combined in one person.